Restore Damaged Teeth with Dental Crowns
A dental crown is a cap, usually made of cosmetic porcelain, which is designed to fit over a tooth. It covers all exposed surfaces, and looks exactly like a natural tooth. Crowns are rarely recommended for strictly cosmetic improvement of healthy teeth, because options that are more conservative, such as veneers, are available. However, if a tooth is damaged or weak, a crown can provide full cosmetic and functional restoration.
Crowns are used to treat dental problems such as:
- Broken teeth – A crown can restore the missing portion of the tooth structure, or hold together pieces of a fractured tooth
- Large fillings – When cavities are extensive there may not be sufficient tooth structure to support a filling without the protection of a crown
- Severely worn teeth – The full height and natural shape of the tooth can be restored
Restoration after a root canal treatment – Although root canal treatment restores the health of a tooth, it can cause some brittleness, so a crown is often recommended
- Badly misshapen teeth – Porcelain veneers are used to correct many misshapen teeth, but when significant alteration is needed, a dental crown may be the solution
- Replace missing teeth – If a traditional dental bridge is used to fill the gap, crowns will be placed on the adjacent teeth to support it. Additionally, a dental implant topped with a specially designed crown can replace a missing tooth with no alteration to the healthy ones.
Before recommending a dental crown, Dr. Rykard will perform an examination to ensure that you are a good candidate. Depending on the situation, he may present several possible solutions, and explain the benefits of each. He will work with you to develop an individualized treatment plan that meets your oral health needs and your cosmetic goals.
If a dental crown is chosen, the process begins with preparing the tooth and placing a temporary restoration. This allows you to eat, speak, and smile normally while your permanent crown is being custom-made by a quality dental laboratory. When it is ready, we will schedule your next appointment. Dr. Rykard will check the fit and esthetics of the new crown before permanently cementing it in place. With good hygiene and regular dental care, your restored tooth can remain healthy and beautiful for many, many years.
To learn more about dental crowns, or to schedule an appointment with Dr. Rykard call us at (405) 896-6919.