Lifestyle Factors Affecting Your Oral Health
Dr. Kevin Rykard and his exceptional team are dedicated to helping residents of Oklahoma City, OK, and other area communities achieve and maintain optimal oral health. To accomplish this, we take the time to get to know each patient, because no two individuals have the same dental needs.
You probably know the basics of oral health. Brush, floss, avoid sugar, and of course, see your dentist on a regular basis. While these very vague guidelines may apply to everyone, comprehensive dental care and optimal hygiene practices will vary.
Some of the many individual factors that affect your oral health and susceptibility to disease include:
- Age – Every phase of life comes with unique challenges and needs.
- Lifestyle – From coffee stains to sports injuries, your teeth can be affected dramatically by your lifestyle and habits.
- Disease – Health conditions such as diabetes or HIV increase your susceptibility to dental problems.
- Pregnancy – Uncontrolled periodontal disease has been linked to pre-term birth, low birth weight babies, and other problems. Dental care has never been so important!
- Medications – Hundreds of prescription drugs have the side effect of decreased saliva flow, which increases the risk of cavities and gum disease.
- Heredity – If you have a family history of oral disease, your risk may be greater.
- Anxiety – Dental fear can have serious oral health repercussions if you avoid seeing a dentist. We understand this, and offer gentle treatment delivered with compassion, as well as the option of sedation.
- Diet – Healthy eating involves more than just sugar avoidance. Your mouth, like the rest of your body, benefits from a balanced diet high in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
- Cosmetic concerns – Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and we each have a unique concept of a perfect smile.
Advanced Dental Services We Offer
We offer a variety of advanced dental services, including implants, gum disease treatment, and cosmetic smile makeovers. We can help you achieve a healthy, beautiful smile, but you will need to maintain those pearly whites between visits. An important aspect of our service is patient education. Our goal is never to lecture or criticize. Instead, we want to help you understand and improve your oral health.
If you are looking for a dentist who will treat you like an individual human being, not just a set of teeth, call (405) 896-6919 and schedule an appointment today.